UIL Academics Amidst the Pandemic

UIL Academics Amidst the Pandemic

Gabby Pippins, Writer

University Interscholastic League competition season is rounding the corner for fine arts, but questions are being raised over how the competitions will look and feel during the pandemic. Several students have opted out due to not being able to rehearse with their classmates in their individual learning environments.

“I am not doing it because it would require too much additional work,” junior violist Tommaso Fumagalli said. “Since I am still not 100% accustomed to virtual learning, I am not as efficient as I used to be. Because of this, I would not have enough time to properly learn the piece and practice it the many times that are required.”

Many band students would like to participate but cannot because of scheduling conflicts with strictly in-person competitions.

“I am not doing concert UIL for personal scheduling reasons,” junior saxophone player Joshua Connors said. “It is all in person-solos, ensembles, and full bands.”

Choir singers have the option between in-person and virtual competition, and for most, the answer is a no-brainer.

“Yeah, you can do UIL in-person or virtually. I am doing it virtually,” junior choir student Damian Watts said.

Orchestra has UIL, but the competition is mainly for their highest group.

“I am not sure about all of the details, but I know chamber had UIL,” junior violinist Charrise Yip said. 

As far as changes go, the band will only be having two differences between a regular competition season and this season.

“The only differences will be socially distanced chairs and instrument Personal Protective Equipment,” Connors said.

Choir UIL is mandatory, and a large number of participants will be staying home.

“All students have to do it,” Watts said. “I am doing it virtually because of COVID-19.”