How Are Athletes Balancing Practices and Their Schoolwork?

What Practices Look Like and How They Impact Students and Their Studies

Royal Kaiya Noguera poses in her uniform.

Gabby Pippins, Writer

All extracurricular activities have been put on hold so far this year, but sports are slowly making a comeback. Practice has started for some sports, but how is it affecting the schoolwork of athletes along with their schedules?

“Drill Team is having practices Mondays through Thursdays in the indoor facility center,” junior Royales social officer Kaiya Noguera said, “and once you come home, you are extremely exhausted, so it is harder to regroup focus to write a paper or finish an assignment.”

One question that has arisen from practices taking place is if they are safe. Will there be masks worn at all times or only in certain situations?

“We only wear masks whenever we are in tighter quarters where we cannot keep six feet, so usually not while practicing or dancing,” Kaiya said. “When practicing our football routines, we stay two to four-yard lines away from each other, ensuring that we are six feet apart. The only reason we do not usually wear masks is because we make them dirty and wet with our sweat and it ruins them for the whole practice.”

Since they don’t wear masks most of the time, all of their personal belongings are kept at least six feet away.

“We each have our own stations where we keep our backpacks and water,” Kaiya Noguera said. “We don’t practice outside unless the SAC is taken because it gets too hot, but we will try to practice outside once it cools off.”

Sports having practices is great, but not so much for the athletes and their schedules. Practice usually takes up most of their free time, leaving them with only a few hours to complete homework and study for any tests.

“It definitely is tricky because Drill Team practice is in the middle of the day and since we receive work from all of our classes each day, it makes it even harder,” Kaiya said. “I have to get to practice earlier for the officer period, so I have to leave even earlier, not to mention I’m not too close to Plano West.” 

To ensure safety, some sports are having virtual practices until things get a bit better.

“Before school started, we had practice every other day, switching between in-person and virtual,” Kaiya Noguera said. “It is hard to practice virtually because the moves are harder to learn and routines are harder to remember,  not to mention trying to keep focus. You get more out of it in-person, but it is much safer virtually.”