BREAKING: Former Allen QB Kyler Murray to Start for Oklahoma Against FAU

Former Allen High School QB Kyler Murray will be the starter for the University of Oklahoma this season.

Avery Klatsky, Senior Editor

The Oklahoma Sooners football team announced that Kyler Murray would be their starting quarterback for the 2018-19 season yesterday afternoon.

Oklahoma’s head coach, Lincoln Riley, is very excited to go out and compete with Murray at the helm, per an article for SoonerSports.com.

Murray, a former dual-athlete for Allen High School, committed to Texas A&M University but transferred to Oklahoma after his freshman season. In eight games for the Aggies, he threw for 686 yards, five touchdowns, and ran for 335 yards and a touchdown.

Last season, Murray was the backup to Baker Mayfield, the number one overall pick in this year’s NFL Draft. With Mayfield becoming a member of the Cleveland Browns, it looks like Murray will fill the draft pick’s open spot.

However, it looks like Murray is in a dilemma—he was also drafted ninth overall in the 2018 Major League Baseball (MLB) draft by the Oakland Athletics. The assigned value of the ninth pick, according to ESPN, is $4,761,500. So, he could either continue along the path of football with Oklahoma or leave college and head for the MLB.

Or, he could pull a Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson by playing both professional baseball and football.

Before he was in college, Murray tore up the football field and the baseball diamond as an Allen Eagle.

As Allen’s varsity football quarterback, he threw for 8,384 yards, 100 touchdown passes, and only gave up 16 interceptions across two seasons. He threw for a combined 262 passing yards per game and completed 485 out of 758 total pass attempts. He additionally rushed for 2,826 yards on 311 total carries and racked up 42 rushing touchdowns in 32 games.

Murray was the number one ranked QB in Texas and fourth-ranked in the nation as a member of the class of 2015.

While on the baseball field, Murray continued his athletic success. In 57 games (only his senior and sophomore years are accounted for), Murray had a .296 batting average on 50 hits and was able to reel in 16 RBIs (runs batted in).

Murray adds an interesting dynamic to Oklahoma’s roster, and being named their starting QB is a testament to his talent.

Oklahoma will start their season at home against Florida Atlantic University (FAU) on Sept. 9 at 11 a.m.