Annual Holiday Dreams Drive Going on Through Nov 18

Alyssa Royston, Writer

Texas Association of Future Educators (TAFE) is hosting their 13th annual Holiday Dreams Drive through November 18th to collect new toys, games, clothing, toiletries, and school supplies for Plano ISD elementary schools.

TAFE was established 14 years ago in order to help with community service events and teacher appreciation events.

Sara Stewart, TAFE President, began her second year in TAFE this year. She explained that this organization appealed to her because of the first-hand experience she obtained by working with kids and teachers.

“I took the Intro to Teaching class and I loved it so much that I wanted to get involved with TAFE. My favorite part is getting to put on Holiday Dreams and make the kids and parents feel loved during the holiday season,” Stewart said.

The Holiday Dreams Drive is an annual event, started almost 13 years ago by Mrs. Begis, Education and Training Coordinator, CTE Team Lead, and TAFE Sponsor. She helped Jackson Elementary families with items needed, and from there, the Holiday Dreams Drive expanded. Since starting, TAFE has assisted 2 schools each year with about 300 students receiving gifts.

“I coordinate the event each year with my students in TAFE, along with the help of Plano West sports teams, clubs and organizations collecting and donating to the cause.” Begis said.

The collections have started now, and all items are due November 18th.  Once all items are in, they are divided among the schools. TAFE takes inventory and divides the gifts. During the second week of December, a “shopping night” for the families at the elementary school takes place. At that time, the families are invited up and allowed to select gifts for their children. TAFE works to assist them by wrapping all the gifts to take home.

“We hope to assist many families this year. We have seen the demand for items increase due to all that has occurred the last year and a half.  We need the students, families, teams, clubs and teachers to come together and help give back to our PISD community.” Begis said.

To help support the cause, donate new items as follows: games, toys, clothing, school supplies, toiletries, and gift cards. All items are due by November 18th to Mrs. Begis in A1126. Mrs. Begis can be reached at [email protected]