Psychology Club Uses Meetings and Instagram as Peer-Tutoring Resource

Elizabeth Secor, Editor

While COVID has put a halt to in-person meetings for many, the Psychology club has not let this deter them and has trekked through this year. Senior and club president Aashna Desai has helped the club utilize everything at its disposal. 

“Although our club is meeting virtually, the possibilities of learning continue to be endless. Psychology Club meets virtually over Zoom,”  Desai said. “We have an active Instagram where we post flashcards of the week in addition to a Google Classroom and website with all of the resources needed by students for class tests and the AP exam.”

The club has faced a few challenges with recruiting and timing during this oddly scheduled school year. However, they view the meeting environment created as a place that allows the officers to explain concepts to students and expand their thinking of psychological concepts. 

“Our officers believe that it is important for everyone between the cohorts to have the opportunity to learn in our club, but this poses a challenge when picking a time when students are free,” Desai said. “Despite this, we regularly maintain our Google Classroom and website for students that are unable to make the meetings can find all of the resources for our club.”

Despite challenges, both with technology and recruitment, the club feels that they have created an online environment that provides students with questions and enthusiasm for meetings. 

“Although this year has provided an incredible amount of challenges for the world, we are always here for our Psychology Club students,” Desai said. “Through our club, students have the same opportunities to learn further about Psychology and explore topics that are featured in the Psychology curriculum, similar to a “normal” face-to-face year.”

The opportunities provided by the club’s meetings and tutoring is not the only thing Desai believes draws students in. Desai sees her fellow psychology students and club officers as peers who are passionate about the subject. 

“We hope to inspire our members to become passionate about psychology and human behavior just like we are,” Desai said.  “Many of our students go on to study psychology in university, which I think illustrates the impact the club has on these individuals.”