Psych Club: A Club That Will Light Up Your Brain

Kyle Dixon, Staff Writer

The human brain is a complicated thing that has been studied before it was even given a name. After decades and decades of research by some of the most intelligible people in the world, the inner workings of this organ are still not completely understood. However, this has not stopped the psychology club from attempting to understand what makes the human brain work.

“The club gives people a different venue for understanding psychology,” Advanced Placement Psychology teacher and club advisor Walter Evarts said.

Meetings for the club are held on Wednesdays in room A2061 and run from 4:15 p.m. until around 5:00 p.m. and are open to anyone interested in psychology whether or not they are official members.

“Our meeting range from 30 to 55 people consistently,” club officer Benji Popokh said. “Everyone is welcome to come regardless.”

The club meetings give members, as well as anyone else who wishes to attend, the opportunity to participate in a variety of psychology-based activities in order to both test their knowledge and gain new insight into the subject.

“We have three different structures for meetings–either weekly review, test prep or student presentations,” Popokh said. “In the weekly review meetings, we find fun ways to help members remember and connect ideas in psychology. In the test prep meetings, we play games and find ways to pack in study time for an upcoming test.”

Members also have the opportunity to share their own information on the subject of psychology by way of the internet.

“We have two to three meetings for student presentations,” he said. “Club members spend each nine weeks working on a project of their choice and present to the club about a psychological disorder.”

Officers such as Popokh and Seth Woolbert use their time and energy to make each meeting as engaging and helpful as possible to those interested in psychology.

“The other officers and I meet in the library every week to prepare and organize the following club meeting,” Woolbert said.

These officer meetings are often used to conceive new and creative ways to diversify Wednesday meetings.

“Each nine weeks I want to have a speaker from the psychology community come speak,” Popokh said.

Community and affability are almost as important to the club’s organizers as psychology itself, and there is great pride is taken in the the members’ relationships with each other.

“There are a lot of members who have nothing in common with each other, so it is my personal goal to create an environment in which every member feel comfortable being in,” Woolbert said.

Aside from their initial interest in the subject, the comradery of the members is what drives the organization and everyone involved to want to grow their knowledge about psychology.

“I couldn’t ask for a better group of people,” Evarts said. “Frankly, they’re just a joy to be with.”